Monday, January 5, 2015

Finding Encouragement in Unlikely Places

It looks okay, but just not quite right!- GF White Bread
So today is day 5 of my new Gluten Free, Egg Free, and (mostly) Dairy Free life. So far it is going pretty well. The whiff of French Bread at Sprouts today wasn't very nice, well actually it was DELICIOUS, but it wasn't terrible. I've been doing a lot of.... Pinteresting? Pinterest Searching? for various gluten free and dairy free recipes. I have found some recipes for gluten free breads that look pretty decent and some blogs that I will probably start stalking in the future. In a non creepy way of course.

Along with the blog stalking I have been doing some flour pricing. Gluten free flour is EXPENSIVE!! I have been feeling like I won't be doing a lot of baking in the future because I am just not willing $3+ a pound for flour. That is just an outrageously ridiculous price. Today I decided to head to Sprouts to look for rice flour prices and then take a chance and head over to WinCo to look at their bulk food section. I hadn't been there for awhile and couldn't remember what they had in the flour section. After a bit of stick shock at Sprouts ($3.49 for 20 oz for Bob's Red Mill White Rice Flour), I mentally crossed my fingers and drove to WinCo. (I love WinCo, I'm not sure why, I think part of it has to do with the fact that it reminds me of going back to Twin Falls and shopping at the WinCo there.)

Anyways, I headed back towards the Bulk Food section and walked down the Flour aisle. I looked at one side, no Rice Flour, but there was Chia Seeds, Flax Meal, Spelt Flour (which I can't have), and several other things that I may be buying in the future. I turned to the other side, and there at the end was White Rice Flour for.... $1.21 a pound!! SCORE! I grabbed a bag to get some (Janice had asked me to bring some up when I come to visit), and started pouring some in. As I did so an older lady made a comment about what a good price that was. I agreed with her and told her that I had just found out how expensive it was, and was now going to be buying it due to food issues. She shared that she had baked her own bread for 50+ years and then had found out she too couldn't eat gluten. We talked for a little bit, she reassured me that in time I wouldn't even crave bread and then pulled out a piece of paper and wrote down the name of  two blogs she really liked for Gluten Free baking. One I had heard of, but the other was new to me, Baking Beauties.

Baking Beauties GF Cinnamon Rolls
I have looked at several recipes from this blog and it looks like a gold mine. I came above the above picture of a cinnamon roll and that little picture made me feel like there might be hope for actually having gluten free bread that actually tastes like... bread. It was encouraging to meet that lady and WinCo and to have her give me this blog name. After all, who doesn't like a good cinnamon roll??

No comments:

Post a Comment