Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Renaissance Soul

So it has been about a month and a half since I quit my job, moved out of my house and moved in with my mom. During this time I have been unemployed (GASP!) and have found other ways to spend my time. Have I been terribly productive? Not in the traditional sense. Rather, I have been reading books, taking some much needed relaxation, spent time with friends, read more books, gotten sick with a cold, gone to a my great uncle's funeral, purchased a round trip ticket to Hawaii that leaves in a month!! etc. I am no closer to finding a job, but I have felt for awhile that I would be jobless for at least a few months.

Several of the books I have read during this time have been about finding your passion (not THAT kind of passion), discovering you calling, getting on the path to leading your authentic life, that sort of stuff. I keep asking myself, what is my passion??? What do I want to do with the rest of my life? I have realized that I am what is called a "Renaissance Soul". Renaissance souls are those individuals who do not have just one passion, we have multiples. As the author says, we are not the Mozarts who know early one what their one true passion is, we are the Benjamin Franklins and the Leonardo Da Vincis of the world.  I am not the sort that could ever be happy picking one career and sticking to it my whole life. I have always been a bit jealous of you people who decide when you are little, or in high school, whenever, that you want to be a lawyer, so you go to college and get your degree in whatever you think will work with law, then you go to law school, graduate and then become a lawyer for the rest of your lives. Voila! Mission accomplished. Obviously, you work hard at this and it doesn't just HAPPEN, but for those of us who couldn't sooner pick a favorite start in the sky this seems simply miraculous.

I have realized that I have always had the same theme to my career goals and they have always included at least one of the three following: helping people, incorporating animals, and traveling. I want to save the world, using animals to assist, and travel to the parts of the world I am saving. That isn't too much to ask is it? I have thought about being a substance abuse counselor, starting an equine therapy program, juvenile probation officer, social worker, starting an animal rescue, travel writer, airline attendant, etc. I feel that somehow I AM going to find a career that allows me to incorporate these three things. It i just a matter of figuring out HOW.


No comments:

Post a Comment