Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Leap of Faith/Two Roads

I interrupt your regularly scheduled broadcasting to bring you this post....

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;        5
 
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,        10
 
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.        15
 
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.        20
 

Sometimes when starting down a new path, taken the road less, traveled, blazing a new path, etc. you find yourself in a situation where you have to take a blind leap of faith. Let's just pretend, hypothetically speaking, that you are a 27 year old female who has made a decision. You are currently living in your house, that you own and love. It is is a cute little two bedroom, full unfinished basement, on .59 acres where you are able to have your horse that you waited 17 years to get. You have beautiful sunsets from your front porch, a cozy little woodstove that keeps you warm in the winter and it is currently monsoon season with rain almost every day, releasing the scent of pine trees into the air. Sounds pretty nice, huh? Well, you also have a job, that while it doesn't pay great it pays the bills, which in today's economy is pretty amazing and you are grateful for it. You work for your dad and step-mom at the charter school they run and you have some very dear friends that you work with. While you believe in what the school does, it is not your dream, the job makes you miserable, there are some people you work with that well are definitely NOT very dear friends, and you are at the point where one more year working with family would not be good for your relationship with them. Unfortunately, your cozy little house is in a cozy little town with very little job opportunities, even less social opportunities, and while you are quite content being single, you wouldn't mind dating and being active (besides hiking). You are fortunate enough to have your mom and step-dad and very dear friends who live just under three hours away in the area you used to live in. So after several months, almost a year, of debating about moving back and applying for jobs in your career field (let's say Criminal Justice) you finally make the decision that are absolutely moving back and will take any job that pays decently. You will move in with your mom for the time being, rent your house out to a friend, able to store much of your stuff in a room in the basement and move once you have a job offer. Decision made!

Now, if you are like me, this simply making the decision is the hard part. You do not ever SIMPLY make a decision when it comes to something like this, that is life altering. You think about it, you pray about it, you examine it from every angle, weighing the pros and cons, researching different things, and consider things very seriously. However, you get to a point where suddenly, you no longer have a future tenant for your house, if you do find another tenant you will not be able to store your belongings in your house any longer, you still have not had any interviews and the idea of moving away with no job and your house sitting empty with no rent coming in is unsettling and disturbing. You are responsible with your money, you do not take money from others, you provide for yourself, but you KNOW that moving is the right thing, even though (hypothetically) today has been an emotional day stirring up doubt in you.

At this point you have to remind yourself that you cannot always have things perfectly laid before you. As much as you may want to have a perfect plan, if things are meant to work out, they will. Sometimes you just have to have a little faith and keep plugging along, and eventually it will all come together."And now as I said concerning faith-faith is not to have a perfect knowledge of things; therefore if ye have faith ye hope for things which are not seen, which are true." Alma 32:21. I may not have a perfect plan/idea of what my future holds, but I know that for whatever reason(s) I am moving back to the heat of the Phoenix area. In the summer. All while taking this blinding leap of faith that things will work out. "Wherefore, if a man have faith he must needs have hope; for without faith there cannot be any hope." Moroni 7:42. I have faith that I am making the right decision and that I am doing what I am supposed to be doing, and in such I have hope that there is a plan and a purpose for my future.

My Geronimo that I adopted 4 years ago form the BLM. Ain't he pretty?

My cute cozy little house that I am leaving.

No comments:

Post a Comment