Monday, December 29, 2014

Talents



Going along with the previous post about authentic selves, and living authentic lives are our talents. We are all given our specific talents for a reason. We have something to accomplish with these talents. Maybe your talent won't bring you world renown fame, or great riches, but maybe you will bring happiness to others through your gift. We all have a purpose to fulfill with our talents.

I think many people, myself included, often think of a talent as something such as marvelous singer, piano player, athlete, artist, etc. A talent where you are doing something you can show the world. I know that there are many other talents besides these, talents that aren't as tangible, but I tend to forget about them when it comes to looking at myself and my own talents. I come from a family that is very musically inclined, with numerous cousins who are fabulously talented in piano, singing, playing various instruments, dance, etc. I, on the other hand, got enough musical talent to know that I will never be good. Sure, I know how to play the piano and the viola, but I'm not terribly talented. I can sing, but only with a choir. Dance is the one area where I feel I may have been talented, but due to other circumstances growing up it was not a talent that I feel I got to fully develop and cultivate. I would have loved to have been able to continue dancing, but stopped taking lessons when I was 12. There are definitely times where I regret this, but it is in the past, and now I am looking forward to taking a couple of social dance classes at the local community college starting in a few weeks.

However, these sorts of talents, while what most people typically list when they think of talents, are far from the only talents out there. One of my all time favorite scriptures, since I was probably around twelve years old, is found in the Doctrine and Covenants from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints scriptures. This is found in Doctrine and Covenants section 46:

11 For all have not every gift given unto them; for there are many gifts, and to every man is given a gift by the Spirit of God.
12 To some is given one, and to some is given another, that all may be profited thereby.
 13 To some it is given by the Holy Ghost to know that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, and that he was crucified for the sins of the world. 14 To others it is given to believe on their words, that they also might have eternal life if they continue faithful. 15 And again, to some it is given by the Holy Ghost to know the differences of administration, as it will be pleasing unto the same Lord, according as the Lord will, suiting his mercies according to the conditions of the children of men. 16 And again, it is given by the Holy Ghost to some to know the diversities of operations, whether they be of God, that the manifestations of the Spirit may be given to every man to profit withal.17 And again, verily I say unto you, to some is given, by the Spirit of God, the word of wisdom. 18 To another is given the word of knowledge, that all may be taught to be wise and to have knowledge. 19 And again, to some it is given to have faith to be healed; 20 And to others it is given to have faith to heal. 21 And again, to some is given the working of miracles; 22 And to others it is given to prophesy; 23 And to others the discerning of spirits. 24 And again, it is given to some to speak with tongues; 25 And to another is given the interpretation of tongues. 26 And all these gifts come from God, for the benefit of the children of God.
Now, this post isn't meant to be all religious and preachy, but this portion of scripture has always reminded me that we have all been given gifts and talents, all different from each other, but in order for us, and the world to benefit from. 
Not all of us have talents like a beautiful singing voice, crazy athletic abilities, piano prodigy, etc. However, there are other talents. I personally feel that some of my own talents were buried during my childhood. For several years I was left feeling that I had no discernible talents, that those I had were lost. Now I have realized that I have many developed talents, along with some that are undeveloped, but hopefully not lost. While I did not get the musical capabilities that so many of my family members got, I did get the talent to truly appreciate and enjoy music. Over the years I have realized that not everyone gets chills or can be moved to tears by beautiful music. Not everyone feels that haunting feeling that comes over me when I hear the bagpipes, Amazing Grace played on the bagpipes brings tears to my eyes instantly. This appreciation of music IS a gift and a talent. Another gift I have realized I have is the appreciation for beautiful places, new cultures, exploring, etc. 
My favorite "beautiful place" in the world.
There are so many talents out there, some people can instantly make feel others at ease, some can make people feel like they are the most important person in the world. Some people have the gift of patience, hard work, etc. There are so many gifts and talents in the world, and no one is talent-less, no matter how much you may feel you are.
Although I do have these gifts that I am aware of, I feel that I have others that were buried/undeveloped during my childhood. Now I have inklings and remembrances of these and am unsure as to how to develop them and make them beneficial at this point in my life.
But, I am trying. 
One of my favorite Van Gogh paintings.



No comments:

Post a Comment