Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Oatmeal Chocolate Cookie Brittle

So I decided I wanted to try a new gluten free recipe. I have done so little gluten free baking and experimenting that it was time. I decided to go with a Double Oatmeal Cookie recipe from Flavor Flours: A New Way to Bake with Teff, Buckwheat, Sorghum, Other Whole & Ancient Grains, Nuts & Non-Wheat Flours. It is a recipe I have had my eye on for awhile now. I mixed up the cookie dough/batter earlier this evening, with a few minor adjustments. First off I halved the recipe, substituted coconut oil for the butter and used a flax egg instead of the egg called for, as I have an egg allergy as well. The recipe I ended up with is as follows. 5/8 cup oat flour (1/2 plus 2 T.) 1 cup rolled oats 1/4 t. salt 1/2 t. baking soda 3/8 t. xantham gum 1/2 cup of coconut oil 3/8 cup granulated sugar 3/8 cup packed light brown sugar 1/2 t. vanilla extract 1 flax egg (1 T. ground flax seeds + 3 T. water) 1/2 cup broken pecan pieces 1/4 cup chunk dairy free chocolate Combine oat flour, rolled oats, salt, baking soda, and xantham gum and whisk until blended. In another bowl mix coconut oil, sugars, and vanilla. Add in the flax egg. Stir in oat mixture and mix the batter for about a minute, this allows the binding power of the xantham gum to be activated. Add in nuts and chocolate. Allow the dough stand for 1 hour or more.
Dough
 Cook at 325 F for 16-20 minutes. This recipe made 23 approximately 1 T. size balls. Once cooked, due to the amount of coconut oil I am guessing, they spread out to make up almost an entire sheet of lovely, delicious cookie brittle.

Finished cookie "brittle"

No comments:

Post a Comment