Monday, March 30, 2015

Apple Cinnamon Granola

So last week one of the things I whipped up was a batch of Apple Cinnamon Granola. I used this recipe from two peas and their pod. The recipe looked yummy, and I liked the idea of idea of not using a lot of sugar. It was my first batch of granola, and it smelled heavenly while I cooked in the oven. I did make a couple of small alterations, so the finally recipe looked like this:


3 1/2 cups certified GF oats (not quick oats)
1 cup various nuts: sunflower seeds, pepitas, and pecans
1/4 cup coconut sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 single serving container of apple sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon canola oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
chopped dehydrated apples

Besides the few things I changed in the ingredients list I followed the recipe as stated on the blog. When it was done I pulled it out, excited to try my first ever batch of homemade granola. I tasted a bite and was a bit....underwhelmed. It wasn't as flavorful as I had hoped, and smelled better than it tasted. Now, it isn't gross, or unappetizing, just not as delicious as it smelled. That being said, I do enjoy it in a bowl with a bit of coconut milk, the sweetness of that is a great complement to the less sweeter granola. This is not a recipe I would follow again, but I do like the idea of it, so I will try and make an apple cinnamon granola sometime in the future.

The recipe as I made it was "safe" for the allergies in our house, gluten free, sugar free, dairy free, cranberry free, and almond free.

No comments:

Post a Comment