Monday, March 23, 2015

Cranola? Grookies?

So awhile back I made a recipe that was supposed to be Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies. They turned into more of a brittle. You can see that post here. I made this recipe again, but with a view changes, hoping for a more cookie like shape, as well as replacing the sugar with coconut sugar. The recipe I ended up with is as follows. 1/4 cup oat flour 3/8 cup coconut flour (1/4 plus 2 T.) 1 cup rolled oats 1/4 t. salt 1/2 t. baking soda 3/8 t. xantham gum 1/2 cup of coconut oil 1/2 cup coconut sugar 1/2 t. vanilla extract 1 flax egg (1 T. ground flax seeds + 3 T. water) 1/2 cup broken pecan pieces 1/4 cup chunk dairy free chocolate. Combine oat flour, rolled oats, salt, baking soda, and xantham gum and whisk until blended. In another bowl mix coconut oil, sugars, and vanilla. Add in the flax egg. Stir in oat mixture and mix the batter for about a minute, this allows the binding power of the xantham gum to be activated. Add in nuts and chocolate. Allow the dough stand for 1 hour or more.

I didn't use my kitchen aid this time, I didn't feel like getting it out. Instead I just used a wooden spoon and a big bowl. The mixture seemed a bit drier than last time, but since I was aiming for less spreading I went with it. I used less sugar this time, but last time it was a tad over sweet, yummy, but sweet.

I wound up with cookie dough balls that didn't spread at all and were a bit crumbly. They tasted good, but were a bit dry, but didn't taste DRY. If that makes any sense. I think the addition of too much coconut flour aided in the dryness, my research tells me that coconut flour tends to suck up the moisture, so next time a little less coconut flour, and up the oat flour back up. I think I reduced the sugar too much, so next time I am thinking maybe a little bit of honey in there, to help both with the sweetness and the moisture. They ended up more like a bit of a granola ball cookie, kinda dry, not quite granola, but not quite a cookie.

I didn't take a picture, but will try and take one later of leftovers and get it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment