Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Human Trafficking

A topic that I have become more and more aware of and is becoming a passionate topic of study for me is that of human trafficking, particularly sex trafficking in the United States. After reading the 
book Girls Like Us, it just stuck in my head. The more I research, follow pages on Facebook, get news alerts, etc. the more it gets under my skin and gnaws at me. I have several different pages on Facebook that I follow that keep my news feed spattered with various news articles, links, posts, etc. about sex trafficking; it's causes, effects, victims, perpetrators, laws, etc. The more stories I read the more it angers me, as well as baffles me. How does it make sense that a minor cannot legally give consent to have sex, yet young girls, as young as 11 years old are being CONVICTED after being a VICTIM in a sex crimes case? How does that make any sense at all? Here are two articles that I have read recently about this very issue. 11 Year Old Reports Being Raped Twice, Ends up Convicted  and U.S Jails Sex Trafficked Youth.

This is a subject that will most likely pop up quite often on this blog, as it is something that is becoming a huge interest/focus in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment